Slatefield House, near the eastern end of Gallowgate, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870.
The Slatefield estate was owned by generations of the Boyds, a dynasty of ministers related to the famous Zachary Boyd. The estate was sold in 1779 to William Miller of Balornock (d 1808), who built the mansion. By the 1870s the grounds in front of the house had been feued to tenement builders and Slatefield Street was laid out there. The house was subsequently demolished.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Slatefield House