Shield Hall, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The mansion was probably built c 1720 by the maltman Thomas Hamilton. The estate was acquired by in 1781 by Alexander Oswald and passed through many other hands until the late 1880s, when it was acquired by the Scottish Wholesale Co-operative Society. The SCWS demolished the mansion and laid out a large industrial estate of factories and warehouses there. Most of the Co-op buildings were demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Shieldhall Industrial Estate.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Scottish Co-operative Wholsale Society, SCWS, Shield Hall, Shieldhall House, Shieldhall Industrial Estate