Rosebank House in Cambuslang, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
In the early 18th century Rosebank was owned by tobacco merchant and Lord Provost John Murdoch (1709-1776), son of Lord Provost Peter Murdoch (1670-1761). It became the property of another Lord Provost (and also the son of a Lord Provost), John Dunlop (1755-1820).
Rosebank was acquired by the famous cotton merchant and manufacturer David Dale (1739-1806) in 1801. The house was occupied by the shipowner George Burns (1795-1890) for many years as a summer home. When journalist James Cowan visited in 1937, he discovered the front of the house had been demolished four years earlier and the rest of the building was scheduled to follow. He noted that the surviving walls were more than 2 feet 6 inches thick and estimated that the building may have been erected as early as the 16th century. The grounds had been used as a tip for slag from the neighbouring Clyde Iron Works.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Clyde Iron Works, Clyde Ironworks, cotton merchants, country houses, mansions, Rosebank House, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants