Possil House photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870. The mansion was built by John Forbes, an Edinburgh lawyer, some time before 1710.
In 1808 the Possil estate was acquired by the Campbells of John Campbell Snr & Co and they made great improvements to the house and gardens. The Sheriff of Lanarkshire, Sir Archibald Allison (1792-1867), rented the estate from 1835 until his death. The iron founders Walter McFarlane & Co acquired the 100-acres in the early 1870s. The house was demolished and the Saracen Foundry was built in the grounds, along with new tenements for the suburb of Possil Park, built to house the firm's workforce.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, foundries, iron founders, John Campbell Snr & Co, mansions, Possil House, Saracen Foundry, Walter McFarlane & Co