Petershill House, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870.
The mansion was reputedly designed and built c 1867 by John Adam for Alexander Williamson Snr. The latter also owned neighbouring Sighthill. The estate was acquired by the Campbells of Bedlay and by the 1840s it was being laid off for housing and industrial development.
Roman coins were reportedly discovered in the mansion's garden in 1842.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Petershill House, Roman coins, Romans