Northwoodside House, photographed by Thomas Annan just before its demolition in 1869. The house is believed to have been built in the 1760s and was occupied by a succession of Glasgow businessmen and industrialists, including the merchant Colin Gillespie who extended the building in the early 19th century.
The estate was acquired by the City of Glasgow Bank in the 1860s, and laid out for housing development. It was demolished in 1869 when the Bank built the Belmont Street Bridge to connect its properties on the left and right banks of the Kelvin, and the author of "The Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry notes that "the north abutment of this new bridge occupies nearly the site of old Northwoodside House."
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Belmont Street Bridge, bridges, City of Glasgow Bank, country houses, mansions, Northwoodside House