Newton House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The mansion stood on the left bank of the Clyde where it meets the Calder, near Newton. It was built in 1825 by Sir James Montgomery of Stanhope (d 1839), to replace a 17th century building.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Newton House