Mount Vernon, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
Local historian Robert Murray has discovered that the name was given to the property by the tobacco merchant Robert Boyd, who purchased the Windy Edge estate in 1841 and renamed it Mount Vernon for the popular Admiral Edward Vernon. The tobacco merchant George Buchanan (1728-1762), son of Lord Provost Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellier (1691-1759), acquired the estate in 1756. Buchanan built the mansion as his country house - when conducting business in Glasgow, he lived at his Virginia Mansion at the head of Virginia Street.
The house and estate remained in the hands of the Buchanans of Drumpellier and Mount Vernon until the end of the 19th century. Part of the estate was sold for the construction of new villas in the 1860s, and the development of the area as a prosperous suburb accelerated after the opening of a railway station on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton & Coatbridge Railway in 1883. A housing estate was built there during the 1930s and the mansion was demolished in 1932.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton & Coatbridge Railway, mansions, Mount Vernon House, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants