Mountblow House photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The house was built in 1767 by the tobacco merchant Robert Donald (1724-1803).
The 24-acres Mountblow estate was originally a part of Auchentoshan, but was feued in 1767 to Robert Donald (b 1724), who became Lord Provost, 1776-1778. He lost most of his fortune when Thomas Donald & Son became bankrupt in 1787 but remained at Mountblow and, until 1798, was employed by the city to supervise the deepening of the River Clyde.
The estate was acquired by Henry Bowie and then by William Dunn of Duntocher (1770-1849). It was inherited by Dunn's nephew, the Advocate Alexander Dunn Pattison. It was sold to Glasgow Corporation in 1877 but remained a home, let by James Rodger Thomson of the Clydebank Shipyard until 1893 when it was leased to the Seamen's Orphans' Institute. It became Mountblow Children's Home in 1922.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
children's homes, cotton manufacturers, country houses, Lord Provosts, mansions, Mountblow Children's Home, Mountblow House, Seamen's Orphan's Institute, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants