Milliken House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. It was built in 1836.
The mansion was situated in Milliken Park near the banks of the Black Cart Water. The estate was formerly known as Johnstone and in 1733 it was sold to Major James Milliken (d 1741) a partner in the South Sugar House in Stockwell Street. Milliken changed the name of the estate and built an elegant new mansion on the site of an old house. This house was destroyed in a fire in 1801.
Milliken's son, also James (d 1776), inherited the estate and made many improvements. The property passed on his death to his grandson Colonel Robert John Napier, and the Napier family held it for many generations. The house was demolished in the 1920s.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Milliken House, soldiers, South Sugar House, sugar houses, sugar refineries, West Indies merchants, White House of Milliken