The Lynn, sometimes known as Linn House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The merchant Colin Campbell purchased a portion of the Hagtonhill Estate in Cathcart in the 1820s . He built a mansion on ground sloping down to the Water of Cart, near a waterfall (linne or lynn), and he named his home The Lynn. The house was sold to John Gordon of Aikenhead in 1840 and he extended the mansion in 1852, to the plans of architect Charles Wilson.
The estate was acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1919 and opened to the public as Linn Park in the 1920s. A nature centre was set up in the house by Glasgow Parks Department but in 2004 the building lies derelict and under threat of demolition.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Linn House, Linn Park parks, mansions, The Lynn, waterfalls