Langside House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The house was reputedly designed by Robert Adam and situated off Camphill Avenue.
In 1776 a portion of the Langside estate was purchased from Robert Crawford of Possil by Dr Thomas Brown (d 1782), who had made his fortune in London and had become a partner in the Ship Bank in 1775. In 1778 Brown built his mansion there, on what is believed to be the site of the Battle of Langside. It was inherited by three of his sons in turn: the last of them, also Dr Thomas (d 1853) was a physician and surgeon at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The house was extended in 1854.
The mansion became a preparatory college for St Aloysius' College in the 1950s until 1984, but it was subsequently demolished and flats were built in the grounds. Much of the area remains wooded in 2004.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Battle of Langside, country houses, Langside House, mansions, physicians, preparatory schools, primary schools, Ship Bank, St Aloysius' College, surgeons