Killermont House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. It stands to the east of Bearsden on the banks of the River Kelvin. The mansion was built at the beginning of 19th century.
The estate was purchased in 1747 by Lawrence Colquhoun, son of Andrew of Garscadden. Lawrence's daughter, Agnes (d 1799), succeeded him. She married John Coats Campbell of Clathic, a Glasgow merchant and Provost in 1784. Their son Archibald Campbell Colquhoun (the name he assumed on inheriting Killermont) was a Sheriff of Perthshire, Lord Advocate and Lord Clerk Register, and the MP He was a partner in the Thistle Bank, and he inherited the Garscadden estate.
The Glasgow Golf Club acquired Killermont House in 1904 and the famous Old Tom Morris laid out a new course in the grounds.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Glasgow Golf Club, gold clubhouses, golf clubs, Killermont House, mansions, members of Parliament, MPs, Thistle Bank