Kenmure House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The mansion, now demolished, was situated on land occupied in 2004 by Bishopbriggs Golf Course. It was built by Charles Stirling (1771-1830), a partner and manager in the West Indies merchants Somervell, Gordon & Co. He purchased the lands of Kenmure in 1806 and built the greater part of the mansion from plans prepared by David Hamilton. In 1816 he sold the estate to his elder brother Archibald (1769-1847). Archibald did not live at the house and it became the residence of William Stirling(d 1862) of Stirling, Gordon & Co (the name which was assumed by Somervell, Gordon & Co).
Sir William Stirling Maxwell was born at Kenmure in 1818.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Bishopbriggs Golf Club, country houses, Kenmure House, mansions, Somervell, Gordon & Co, Stirling, Gordon & Co, West Indies merchants