Kelvinside House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman was born there in 1836.
Kelvinside was originally part of the Ruchill estate, which was acquired in the 17th century by the Peadie family which produced two of Glasgow's Lord Provosts, James (d 1717) and his son James Jnr (1684-1728). It was sold in 1749 to the merchant Allan Dreghorn and he detached part of the estate, which was known as Bankhead. The tobacco merchant Thomas Dunmore acquired Bankhead and renamed in Kelvinside. He built the mansion and laid out extensive wooded gardens there.
The estate was acquired in 1785 by Dr Thomas Lithan of the East India Company. Following his death in 1807 his widow married Archibald Cuthill (1763-1853). He became a member the Faculty of Procurators in 1789 and established the law firm Cuthill & Monteath, which became Graham, Cuthill & Monteath in 1821.
In 1839 Kelvinside was sold to Matthew Montgomerie (1783-1868) and John Park Fleming (d 1869) of the law firm Montgomerie & Fleming, who formed the Kelvinside Estate Co to develop the estate. Work began on laying out the estate for crescents and terraces of tenements. Kelvinside House, which stood above the Garrioch Mills on the north bank of the Kelvin where Botanic Crescent was formed, was demolished.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Cuthill & Monteath, East India Co, Faculty of Procurators, Garioch Mills, Graham, Cuthill & Monteath, Kelvinside Estate Co, Kelvinside House, layers, Lord Provosts, mansions, Montgomerie & Fleming, physicians, Prime Ministers, solicitors, tobacco merchants