Kelvingrove House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The house was built in 1783.
In 1782, Lord Provost Patrick Colquhoun acquired the lands of Woodcroft and renamed it Kelvingrove. He built the mansion the following year, perhaps from designs by Robert Adam, and laid out gardens.
Colquhoun sold Kelvingrove in 1792 to John Pattison, who enlarged the estate by acquiring lands to the north and then, three years later, sold it to the merchant Richard Dennistoun. It remained in the Dennistoun family until 1841 when it was sold to the merchant Colin McNaughtan. Glasgow Corporation acquired the estate, neighbouring Woodlands and some other land in 1852 and used much of the land to lay out the "West End Park", better known as Kelvingrove Park. The house became Glasgow's first municipal museum in 1872 and it was extended four years later. It was demolished in 1899 and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was erected in its place, a little to the east.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
City Industrial Museum, country houses, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Kelvingrove House, Kelvingrove House Museum, Kelvingrove Park, lord provosts, mansions, museums, parks, West End Park