Jordanhill House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. Andrew Houstoun of Alexander Houston & Co built the mansion in 1782. Glasgow Corporation acquired the estate in 1911 for a teacher training college, and the house was demolished in 1961. Jordanhill College of Education's Crawfurd Building was erected on the site.
Thomas Crawford built a house at Jordanhill in 1562. He became Lord Provost of Glasgow the following year. The merchant Alexander Houstoun acquired the estate in 1750. He was also one of the partners of the Ship Bank. His son Andrew succeeded him and built a new mansion on the site of the 16th century house.
Jordanhill was acquired in 1800 by Archibald Smith (d 1821), West Indies merchant and Dean of Guild in 1799. He added considerably to the mansion. His son James (d 1867) succeeded to Jordanhill. James was an enthusiastic antiquarian and amateur architecture, who preserved the Govan Cross from Govan Parish Church on his estate and who helped design several mansions built by his friends in and around Glasgow. He made significant additions to the house in 1824. His son, the famous barrister and mathematician Archibald Smith (1813-1872) inherited the estate.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Alexander Houstoun & Co, barristers, country houses, Crawfurd Building, Govan Cross, Jordanhill Campus, Jordanhill College of Education, Jordanhill Cross, mansions, mathematicians, teacher training colleges, University of Strathclyde, West Indies merchants