Ibroxhill House in what is now Bellahouston Park, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. John Bennet, a writer in Glasgow, built the mansion soon after he acquired a portion of the Ibrox Estate in 1801.
In 1816 the merchant John McCall (d 1833) of John McCall & Co bought the estate. It was McCall who named it Ibroxhill, to distinguish it from the other parts of the Ibrox estate, and he extended the mansion using designs supplied by his brother-in-law, James Smith of Jordanhill (1782-1867).
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Bellahouston Park, country houses, Ibroxhill House, John McCall & Co, mansions, parks