Househill (better known as Hous'hill) in Nitshill, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870. The mansion was built in the early 19th century to replace an earlier house. It became famous as the home of tea room owner Catherine (Kate) Cranston (1849-1934). In 1904 she commissioned Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) to carry out the redecoration of its rooms. Cranston sold the house in 1920. It was badly damaged by a fire c 1930 and subsequently demolished.
Sir Thomas Stewart of Minto, Provost of Glasgow in 1472, owned the lands of Househill in 1477. The estate was sold to Thomas Dunlop in 1646. Thomas' grandson sold the estate to John Blackburn (fl 1719), a merchant trading with Britain's American colonies.
In 1750 Blackburn's son Andrew (a founder of the Glasgow Arms Bank) sold Househill to the merchant Robert Dunlop, brother of Provost Colin Dunlop of Carmyle (1706-1777). The people in the photograph are presumably members of the family or friends of the owner in 1870, Robert Buchanan Dunlop of Drumhead and Househill.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, fashions, Hous'hill House, Househill House, mansions, tea room owners, women