Hallside House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The house was built in 1790 and an addition made in 1840.
Hallside was originally part of the estate of Drumsargat and it was acquired by George Jardine (1742-1827). Jardine was the assistant to James Clow, the Professor of Logic and Rhetoric at the University of Glasgow and he assumed Clow's duties from 1774 until he succeeded him as Professor in 1787. He held the chair until his death. Jardine stayed at his university house off High Street during term-time, returning to Hallside in the summer months.
On his death, Hallside was inherited by George's son John (1778-1850) and then his grandson James Bruce Jardine.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, gentry, Hallside House, Logic and Rhetoric, manor houses, manors, mansions, professors