Haggs Castle in Pollokshields, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The castle was built by Sir John Maxwell, 12th of Pollok, 1585-1587.
Haggs Castle was used as a jointure house (ie; it was granted to a wife for the period in which she survived after the death of her husband) but it became ruinous after 1752 when Sir John Maxwell, 3rd Baronet (d 1752) completed the building of a new residence, Pollok House. By 1840 the lower floor was occupied by a smithy associated with the local coal mine.
The castle was restored around 1860 by Sir John Maxwell, 9th Baronet, and was occupied by the Pollok Estate's factor, Mr Colledge (d 1899).
In 1943 the government requisitioned it for military purposes. After the war it was divided into four residential flats. The castle was bought by Glasgow Corporation and housed Glasgow's Museum of Childhood from 1972. Since 1998 it has been a 19-room house.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
castles, country estates, country houses, flats, gentry, Haggs Castle, manor houses, manors, mansions, Museum of Childhood, Pollok Estate, Pollok House, suburbs, villas