Greenfield House off Old Shettleston Road, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870.
In 1759 Isabel Luke, daughter of the famous Glasgow goldsmith, Robert Luke and wife of Glasgow merchant George Bogle, sold the house and estate to the coalmaster James McNair and he developed coal mines there. In 1762 he acquired the adjoining Shettleston estate and its mansion from Robert Bogle.
A golf course was laid out on the Greenfield estate in the early 20th century, and some of the land was acquired for council housing in the 1930s. The golf course is long gone but Greenfield Park remains.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
coal mining, coalmasters, country houses, golf courses, Greenfield House, Greenfield Park, mansions, parks, suburbs