Greenbank House near Clarkston, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Greenbank estate was acquired in 1763 by the Glasgow baker-turned-merchant Robert Allason, who built a Georgian mansion there. Allason had to give up the property in 1784 when his business became insolvent. It changed hands on many occasions thereafter, until 1976 when it was donated to the National Trust for Scotland. In 2004 the mansion is an "A" listed building and Greenbank House and Gardens is a popular visitor attraction.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
bakers, country houses, Greenbank House and Gardens, listed buildings, mansions, National Trust for Scotland