Glenarbuck House near Bowling, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870. The house was built at the end of the 18th century for the merchant Gilbert Hamilton (1744-1808), first president of the Glasgow Humane Society, a founding member of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and Glasgow's Lord Provost in 1792.
Other proprietors of Glenarbuck included John Napier; the Duke of Sutherland; Lord Blantyre; James Mitchell of Carwood, once Dean of Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow and Robert Black (1792-1879) of the merchants Black & Wingate of Kelvinhaugh.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Black & Wingate, country houses, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, Glasgow Humane Society, Glenarbuck House, lord provosts, mansions