Gilmorehill House, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870 on the eve of its demolition. The mansion was demolished to make way for the new University of Glasgow buildings. It stood at the south-west corner of what is now the west quadrangle in the University's Gilbert Scott building.
The mansion was built c 1802 by the West Indies merchant Robert Bogle (d 1822). In 1845 the estate was sold to the Glasgow Western Cemetery Co (later known as the Gilmorehill Co) which intended to build a cemetery on the hill, but instead sold it to the University of Glasgow in 1865.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, demolition, farms, Gilmorehill Co, Gilmorehill House, Glasgow Western Cemetery Co, mansions, quadrangles, suburbs, University of Glasgow buildings