Germiston House, east of Roystonhill, photographed by Thomas Annan on a winter's day in 1870.
Germiston House was built in 1690 for Robert and Laurence Dinwiddie, tobacco merchants and founders of the Delftfield Pottery Co. Lawrence became Lord Provost in 1742 and Robert became Governor of Virginia in 1751. The building was enlarged in 1810 to plans by the architect David Hamilton. The last member of the Dinwiddie family died in 1819 and the house passed into other hands. In the 1870s it was occupied by Reverend George Burns of Glasgow Cathedral, who built a study in the garden. By the 1890s the house was occupied by labourers who converted Burns' garden study into a piggery.
The house was demolished in 1926 by Glasgow Corporation in order to make way for a new housing development. The nine families which had been living in the derelict mansion were re-housed.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Delftfield Pottery Co, gardens, Germiston House, Governors of Virginia, labourers, Lord Provosts, mansions, ministers, piggeries, studies, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants