Gartferry House in Moodiesburn, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. It was built in the early part of the 18th century on the site of an older house.
The Roberton family acquired part of the old lands of Gartferry in the 18th century. Dr Archibald Roberton, an eminent physician and a Jacobite who once treated Bonnie Prince Charlie, changed the name of the mansion to "Roberton Hall" and the name was retained until 1800. The divided Gartferry estate was consolidated in 1856 by Alexander Milne. He sold it in 1862 to William Wilkie who built a considerable extension to Gartferry House.
Timber houses were built on the Gartferry Estate in the 1930s, and they provided the hub of the modern Moddiesburn housing estate.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Gartferry House, Jacobites, mansions, physicians, Roberton Hall