Garscadden House in Drumchapel, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The mansion was built by the Colquhouns of Garscadden and Killermont between 1723 and 1747.
Garscadden House was famous for its ornate entrance - the "Girnin' Gates" built in 1789 - and the 14th century chapel in the grounds.
In 1938 Garscadden House was acquired by Glasgow Corporation and evacuees were sent there during the Second World War. It was destroyed by fire in 1959 but the gardens remain in 2004, incorporated in Garscadden Burn Park.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, evacuees, Garscadden Burn Park, Garscadden Chapel, Garscadden House, Girnin' Gates, mansions, parks