Garnkirk House, near Stepps, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The mansion was designed by David Hamilton and built in 1820 on the site of an older mansion.
The estate was acquired by the merchant John Dunlop (d 1662) in 1634 and he built the original Garnkirk House. In 1782 the estate was acquired by James Dunlop (b 1742), the MP who was the father of Colin Dunlop MP (b 1775) of the Clyde Ironworks. James rebuilt the facade of the old house.
In 1811 the estate was acquired by the advocate Mark Sprot, and his nephew of the same name rebuilt the mansion in 1820 leaving Dunlop's facade intact. Part of the estate was acquired in 1925 for Crow Wood Golf Course. The house was sold and in 1937 it was rebuilt. In 1955 it was re-purchased by the golf club and converted to serve as a clubhouse.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country estates, country houses, Garnkirk House, gentry, manor houses, manors, mansions, suburbs, villas