Gairbraid House near Maryhill, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. This mansion was built in 1789 near the site of an older house built in 1688.
George Hucheson, founder with his brother of Hutchesons' Hospital, acquired the Gairbraid estate in 1600. Their nephew Ninian Hill inherited Gairbraid and he was succeeded by Hew Hill, who left Garbraid to his only daughter Mary (1730-1809). Mary and her husband Robert Graham (d 1804) feued land on the estate for building, with the proviso that the new town should be called Maryhill.
By 1878 the house was surrounded by building sites and rubbish tips, and a locomotive works, a dye works, a laundry and (in 1898) Maryhill Baths and Wash-house were built nearby. Gairbraid Avenue was laid on the route of the old tree-lined carriage road to the house, which was demolished in the 1920s.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Gairbraid House, mansions