Elderslie House near Renfrew, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The mansion was built in 1782 for the tobacco merchant Alexander Speirs (1714-1782), who had acquired the King's Inch estate in 1769. He brought many relics of William Wallace from the village of Elderslie, and gave that name to his new house and estate.
The mansion was demolished in 1920. The Braehead Power Station was subsequently built on the site.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Elderslie House, mansions, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants