Edinbarnet House to the north of Faifley, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
William Stirling built a mansion at Edinbarnet in 1644. It was replaced with this building in 1758, by his great-grandson James Stirling (d 1809). In 1866 the estate was sold to Walter Mackenzie of Caldarvan. A new house was built on the site in 1882 but it had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1888.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Edinbarnet House, fires, mansions