Drumpellier House near Coatbridge, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Drumpellier estate was purchased in 1735 by the tobacco merchant Andrew Buchanan (1690-1759), Glasgow's Lord Provost in 1740 and the man for whom Buchanan Street is named. He was responsible for building the oldest part of Drumpellier House in 1736 and it was extended in the 1740s and 1750s.
The Drumpellier estate was gifted to Coatbridge in 1919. Many Glaswegians travelled by tram to Drumpellier during the 1920s and 30s, to spend their weekends camping in the park. The house was demolished in the 1960s. In 2004 the estate is a Country Park and golf course.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
bankers, camping, country houses, Drumpellier Country Park, Drumpellier House, excursions, golf courses, Lord Provosts, mansions, parks, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants