Dalmuir House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
Edward Collins opened a paper mill on the banks of the River Kelvin in 1746. The firm Edward Collins & Sons (also known as Edward & Richard Collins) subsequently moved to Dalmuir, where Richard Collins built Dalmuir House c 1810. The house and estate were later sold to William Dunn (1770-1849), proprietor of the Duntocher, Hardgate and Faifley spinning mills and the Dalnotter Ironworks.
The house was acquired by Clydebank Burgh Council in 1908 and there were plans to accommodate a maternity hospital there in the 1920s. However, it was demolished in 1929.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
cotton manufacturers, Dalmuir House, Edward & Richard Collins, Edward Collins & Sons, iron founders, mansions, paper makers, paper merchants, William Dunn & Co