Daldowie House, south of Broomhouse, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The house was built in 1745 by George Bogle and considerable alterations and additions were made in 1830 and 1837.
Robert Stewart of Minto, a Lord Provost of Glasgow, lived at Daldowie in the 1520s. In 1724 the estate was sold to the Glasgow merchant Robert Bogle (d 1734) whose son and successor, George (1701-1782), built Daldowie House. George Bogle was Rector of the University of Glasgow in 1737, 1743 and 1747. His son, also George (1746-1781) became famous as the first East India Company envoy to travel to Tibet.
Daldowie remained in the hands of the Bogle family until 1825, when the estate was sold to John Dixon of the Calder Ironworks. James McCall, another Glasgow merchant, acquired it in 1830. The estate had extensive coal mines until the 1930s. Daldowie Crematorium was built on the site of the mansion in 1955.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
coal mines, coal mining, country houses, crematoria, crematoriums, Daldowie Crematorium, Daldowie House, mansions