Dalbeth House off London Road, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Dalbeth estate was acquired in the 1750s by Thomas Hopkirk (d 1781), a prosperous merchant and one of the original partners of the Glasgow Arms Bank which began in 1750. He was succeeded at Dalbeth by his son James Hopkirk (1750-1835), another leading merchant who was responsible for rebuilding the mansion as it is shown in the photograph. James extended the estate and opened more coal mines. His son Thomas Hopkirk (b 1785) established the first lithograph press in Glasgow, was closely associated with the satirical publication The Northern Looking Glass and founded Glasgow's Royal Botanic Institution.
Dalbeth was sold in 1851 to the Community of the Good Shepherd which erected a convent close to the house and opened St Peter's Cemetery in the grounds.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
cemeteries, coal mines, Community of the Good Shepherd, convents, country houses, Dalbeth House, Findlay, Hopkirk & Co
, Glasgow Royal Botanic Institution, James Hopkirk & Co, mansions, Northern Looking Glass, St Peter's Cemetery, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants