Crossbasket House, north of East Kilbride, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The lands of "Corsbasket" were held by the Lindsays of Dunrod until the early 17th century. The house was subsequently occupied by a number of merchants and businessmen, most famously by the inventor and raincoat manufacturer Charles Macintosh (1766-1843) and by James Clark (1813-1876), a partner in James Finlay & Co.
The oldest part of the house is the 16th century tower, pictured here with a flagpole. Other parts of the building were added in the 19th century. The house has served as a nursery and a missionary centre in recent years, and in 2003 was offered for sale on the internet.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
castles, Crossbasket Castle, Crossbasket House, gardens, mansions, missionary centres, missions, nurseries, River Calder