Craigpark House in Dennistoun, photographed by Thomas Annan just before its demolition in 1870.
The merchant James McKenzie (1761-1838) was a partner in D J & M McKenzie and Tassies & Co and became Lord Provost 1806-1808. He acquired a part of the old Whitehill estate in 1798, and changed the name from Cullochfauld to Craigpark. He built Craigpark House in c 1798 and opened a large whinstone quarry in the grounds c 1820.
Craigpark House and grounds were sold in 1850 to Alexander Dennistoun of Golfhill, who laid out the housing estate that is named for him. Craigpark Street commemorates the name of the old mansion.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Craigpark House, D J & M McKenzie & Co, drapers, mansions, McKenzie & Tassies, merchants, Tassies & Co, whinstone quarries, Whitehill estate