Craigmaddie House, north-west of Milngavie, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
Craigmaddie was held by the powerful Galbraiths of Baldernock in the middle ages, and there are ruins of an old castle. Glasgow's Lord Provost, James Black, purchased the estate at the end of the 18th century and built a cottage there. He subsequently built the mansion, which was extended by a subsequent owner. Henry Gordon, who acquired the estate in 1842, made Craigmaddie the manor house for the Dougalston estate and he, too, made additions to the building. The house is a private residence in 2006.
In 1896 Glasgow Corporation built a service reservoir at Craigmaddie, beside the existing Mugdock Reservoir.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
castles, country houses, Craigmaddie House, Craigmaddie Reservoir, mansions, reservoirs