Craighead House on the outskirts of Blantyre, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The house and estate were sold at the beginning of the 19th century to James Smith, son of a West Indies merchant in Glasgow, James Smith of Craigend (d 1786). After James Jnr's death c 1815, his nephew sold Craighead to another Glasgow merchant, Thomas McCall, who made considerable additions to the house. Yet another Glasgow merchant, George Alston of Muirburn, acquired the property in the 1860s.
In 2004 the mansion is the Craighead Retreat House.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, Craighead House, Craighead Retreat House, mansions, merchants, retreats