Cochna (better known as Cochno) House near Duntocher, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The mansion was reputedly designed by the architect John Adam and built in 1757 to replace an earlier house erected by the Hamiltons of Cochno, and it was extended in 1842.
The University of Glasgow purchased the estate in 1954 and established the Cochno Farm and Research Centre there. Glasgow University Archives used part of the house as an out-store during the 1980s, and it was renovated in the 1990s to serve as a teaching and conference facility.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Cochna House, Cochno Farm and Research Centre, Cochno House, conference centres, country houses, Glasgow University Archives, mansions, University of Glasgow buildings