Clober House in Milngavie, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
James Macgregor, a Glasgow merchant, built the mansion in 1773 near the site of an earlier house on the banks of the Allander Water. His son-in-law, James Watt, had already embarked on his career as a civil and mechanical engineer. Watt was responsible for laying-out a bleachfield on the estate, supervising the creation of the water courses and the installation of machinery.
The mansion was extended in 1833 to the designs of architect John Baird. It had been demolished by the 1960s when the Clober housing estate was built.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
bleachfields, civil engineers, Clober House, country houses, mansions, mechanical engineers