Cathkin House at the eastern end of the Cathkin Braes, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Cathkin estate was inherited by the Glasgow merchant Walter Ewing (who assumed the name Maclae) in 1790. He demolished the old mansion in 1799 and erected a new one nearby, designed by James Ramsay. In 2004 the house is used for a nursing home.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Cathkin House, country houses, mansions, nursing homes