Castlemilk House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The lands of Cassilton of Carmunock were acquired by the Stuarts of Castlemilk in Dumfriesshire in the Middle Ages, and in the 16th century they renamed the estate Castlemilk. In 1938 the estate was acquired by Glasgow Corporation for housing, but the outbreak of the Second World War delayed building work. The mansion was used to accommodate evacuees from the city until the end of the war, and then until 1968 as a children's home until closed in 1968. Castlemilk House was demolished in 1972.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Cassilton Castle, Castlemilk Castle, Castlemilk House, castles, children's homes, country houses, evacuees, housing estates, housing schemes, mansions