Carntyne House, photographed c 1878. The house was built by Robert Gray in 1802.
The Carntyne estate was owned by the Gray family, who exploited the coal reserves on their land from as early as 1600. Many industries in Glasgow relied on Carntyne coal for their power supply. It is believed that the West of Scotland's first steam engine was erected there to drain water from the coal mines from 1768. Flooding was a constant problem for mines in the area, eventually leading to the closure of pits on the estate in 1875.
Carntyne was developed during the inter-war years as a housing renewal scheme, with Carntyne House remaining in the middle of it. The house was demolished in the late 1920s.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Carntyne estate, Carntyne House, coal mines, collieries, flooding, floods, Gray family, housing estates, housing schemes, mansions, mines, mining, steam engines, steam pumps