Capelrig House near Newton Mearns, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The lands of Capelrig belonged to the Knights Templar in the 12th century and afterwards to the Hospitallers, who may have established a chapel there. A Glasgow lawyer, Robert Barclay, built the mansion in the photograph in 1769.. In 1962 it was refurbished as an Arts Centre and in 2004 it is an East Renfrewshire Council office building. Eastwood High School was built on the estate.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
arts centres, Capelrig House, Council offices, East Renfrewshire Council, Eastwood High School, mansions, secondary schools