Campbellfield House on the Gallowgate, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1868 shortly before its demolition.
Campbellfield was located opposite what is now Slatefield Street. The lands belonged to the Chapman family until 1762 when the property was acquired by William Auchinloss, a Glasgow merchant. He built the house c 1765 and named both it "Campbellfields" in compliment to his wife, a near relative of the poet Thomas Campbell.
Auchinloss died at Campbellfield, 1797 and the property was acquired by John McAdam of Easterhouse. William Wilson bought it in 1815 and made major alterations to the building. A clayfield and a pottery were opened in the grounds, before they were feued for new buildings and the old house was demolished.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Campbellfield House, clayfields, country houses, mansions, potteries