Bredisholm House near Baillieston, photographed in 1878 by Thomas Annan.
The Bredisholm estate was granted to a branch of the powerful Muirhead family by the Archbishop of Glasgow and the grant was confirmed in a charter of 1607. In 1710 a local history made the first known reference to the house, describing it as "a convenient dwelling". It was substantially altered in later years and the date 1765 was carved on a stone on what may have been an extension at the north end of the building.
Bredisholm became a golf clubhouse until c 1919. It was demolished c 1980. However, the names Bredisholm and Muirhead are preserved in many of the street names in the Muirhead district of Baillieston.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Bredisholm House, country houses, golf clubhouses, mansions