Barlanark House, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870. The mansion was demolished in the 1970s.
Barlanark House was designed by the architect David Hamilton and built in 1822 for Laurence Hill (1791-1872). The Hill family had been prominent in the Glasgow area since before the Reformation and had been Rentallers under the Archbishopric of Glasgow. When the church lands were feued off in the late 16th century, Thomas Hill became proprietor of large estates in the Ibrox area. The Hills married into other prominent landholding families in and around Glasgow: Laurence's mother was Christian Dreghorn.
Laurence Hill was a lawyer who served as the factor to the University of Glasgow, was a secretary the city's Royal Botanic Institution, and promoted several railways, most notably the Garnkirk & Glasgow.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Barlanark House, country houses, ivy, lawyers, mansions, trees