The University Library (left) and the south end of the Hamilton Building (right), looking southwest from the Hunterian Museum, c 1870. A small part of Blackfriars' Church can be seen behind the library.
The University Library was located in the High Street front of the 15th century University building, and then on the east side of the inner court from 1639. This building was erected 1732-1744. Its upper hall was the location of the Foulis brothers' Academy of the Fine Arts. The ugly iron staircase was added in in the 1860s to give access to this hall, after it had been converted to a students' reading room.
The Hamilton Building was erected in 1811 to replace the cramped buildings on the east side of the inner court. The project was funded from the bequest of a merchant, John Hamilton.
Reference: Sp Coll Mu Add. q17
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Academy of the Fine Arts, Blackfriars Parish Church, Foulis Academy, Glasgow University Library, Hamilton Building, inner court, libraries, Old College, University of Glasgow